Atlanta Yoga Class Schedule – Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga and Integrated Yoga Therapy
Welcome! For those new to the Ashtanga Vinyasa Practice, please plan to begin in Ashtanga Beginners’ classes or our periodic Intro to Ashtanga Series courses. If you have some experience in Ashtanga Yoga you may begin in Ashtanga Foundations classes. We will guide you from here based on individual needs. You may also begin with private instruction. Please contact us the day before before visiting us for the first time! Below you will find our daily class schedule followed by a listing of our series courses. Series courses are periodic offerings. If you are interested in a particular series please let us know and we will let you know when it is next available.
Atlanta Yoga Class Schedule:
These classes may be taken individually or you may use your class card.
- Ashtanga Beginners: These are our entry level classes! If you are new to Atlanta Yoga please begin here.
- Sundays at 11:45 a.m. Ashtanga Beginners’ Technique with Elizabeth — think details, alignment, constructing fluidity, exploring breath-body connections and so on. This class covers the foundations of the Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga system. Students will work to develop a frame for movement and meditative concentration while exploring the foundational asanas (sun salutations and foundational standing and seated formations) and essential breathing techniques (pranayama).
- Wednesdays at 7:45 p.m. Ashtanga Beginners’ Flow with Valerie — Valerie will work with beginner students to put the technique into the context of the fluidity of the full Ashtanga Vinyasa practice.
- Ashtanga Foundations: Tuesdays at 7:30 p.m. and Thursdays at 7:30 p.m. Foundations classes are the next step after beginners’ classes. Refine technique, begin to explore the structures of subtle energy flows in the body, significant connections between mind and body, and more. Foundations classes also serve as a space for seasoned practitioners to refine their movement and mindfulness technique in between full primary and second series practices.
- Ashtanga Primary Series: Sundays at 10:00 a.m. This class is open to all practitioners at Atlanta Yoga. We will work through the asanas of the primary series in a steady flow interweaving technique.
- Asthanga Primary and Second Series Integrated Practice: Mondays at 8:00 p.m. This class is open to all practitioners at Atlanta Yoga. This class is a detailed exploration of select asanas of the Ashtanga Primary and Second series. Primary series is known as Yoga Chikitsa and is designed to remove obstructions from the body and mind. Second series is know as Nadi Shodhana and is more concerned with the alignment of the nervous system and subtle energy flows of the body. Once a practitioner has settled into a disciplined practice it can be very helpful to begin to integrate the asanas of these two sequences. In this class we will begin to explore the integration of these two series of asanas in several alternative sequences.
- Ashtanga Second Series: This class meets twice monthly. The intermediate series (nadi shodhana) of the Ashtanga System. You will need to have a working knowledge of the primary series and an established self-practice. Please contact us for times or check the posts on our main page.
- Ashtanga Third Series Foundations: This class meets twice monthly. This class is an approach to the third or advanced series of the Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga system. Please contact us for times or check the posts on our main page.
Series Course Offerings:
These are 6 week courses. The material is presented in a sequential manner to maximize learning. Groups are kept small to allow us to pay attention to the particulars of each participant, track progress and help direct each participant’s practice as it develops. For this reason we do not allow ‘drop-in’ attendance in series courses. Pre-registration is required for all series courses! For start dates please see our main page or check the schedule below. If you don’t see a start date for a series course you are interested in please contact us.
- Intro to Ashtanga Learn the basics of constructing fluidity in body and mind through an exploration of the Ashtanga Vinyasa yoga tradition. This series course is designed to prepare you for our Foundations classes and may be taken prior to or alongside our Foundations classes. We strongly recommend that you take an Intro series within the first 3 months of beginning your practice with us.
- Foundations after 50 This series course is specifically designed for those who are beginning a yoga practice in their 50s or later. It is a mature, detailed, and intelligent approach to learning new movement in body and mind. We explore the mapping of new movement pathways, the construction of a frame for approaching asana practice, basic breathwork, essential alignment, and basic applied anatomy. We also address areas of weakness and concern specific to the participants in each group.
- Yoga for Arthritis This series course is designed to introduce you to the basics of yoga movement specific to the prevention and support of osteoarthritis. We will explore the dynamic yoga movements and breath-work that support the development of core stability, strengthen spinal muscles, promote balance, encourage the development of bone growth and restore movement in body and mind.
- Yoga Support for Trauma In this series course we will explore asana and pranayama (movement and breathwork) specific to addressing the effects of trauma on the body and mind.