Atlanta Yoga Class Schedule – Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga and Integrated Yoga Therapy
Welcome! For those new to the Ashtanga Vinyasa Practice, please plan to begin in our Ashtanga Beginners’ Series or, for those with some experience in yoga or other forms of mindful movement, in our Ashtanga Foundations classes. We will guide you from here based on individual needs. You may also begin with private instruction. Please contact us the day before before visiting us for the first time! Below you will find our Beginners’ series classes, our daily class schedule and a listing of our other series courses. Series courses are periodic offerings. If you are interested in a particular series please let us know and we will let you know when it is next available.
Our next Ashtanga Beginners’ Series starts Sunday January 10th, 2016!
Six weeks, nine classes. We will meet Sundays at 11:45 a.m. for six weeks. Students will also take 3 Ashtanga Foundations classes (offered Tues and Thurs evenings 7:30-8:45 p.m.) during weeks 4-6. Sunday classes will explore the techniques that structure the Ashtanga Vinyasa Yoga practice. Think details: alignment, constructing fluidity, exploring connections between breath, thought, sensation and so on. To this end we will explore Sun Salutations and standing forms as well as the development of the breath and linking breath to movement.
These technique classes are designed to work in conjunction with our Ashtanga Foundations classes which provide the full flow context of the Ashtanga practice. Together the two teaching approaches provide the practitioner a comprehensive approach to the Ashtanga practice.
Fees (9 classes): 120.00
Daily Class Schedule (short form, see below for details)
Monday 8:00 p.m. Ashtanga Integrated Practice
Tuesday 7:30 p.m. Ashtanga Foundations
Wednesday 7:45 p.m. Ashtanga Second Series
Thursday 7:30 p.m. Ashtanga Foundations
Sunday 10:00 a.m. Ashtanga Primary Series
Sunday 11:45 a.m. Ashtanga Beginners’ Series (starts Jan 10)
Detail Daily Class Schedule
These classes may be taken individually or you may use your class card:
- Ashtanga Foundations: Tuesdays at 7:30 p.m. and Thursdays at 7:30 p.m. Foundations classes are the next step after beginners’ classes. Refine technique, begin to explore the structures of subtle energy flows in the body, significant connections between mind and body, and more. Foundations classes also serve as a space for seasoned practitioners to refine their movement and mindfulness technique in between full primary and second series practices.
- Ashtanga Primary Series: Sundays at 10:00 a.m. This class is open to all practitioners at Atlanta Yoga. We will work through the asanas of the primary series in a steady flow interweaving technique.
- Ashtanga Integrated Practice: Mondays at 8:00 p.m. This class is open to all practitioners at Atlanta Yoga. This class is a detailed exploration of select asanas of the Ashtanga Primary, Second, and Third series. Primary series is known as Yoga Chikitsa and is designed to remove obstructions from the body and mind. Second series is know as Nadi Shodhana and is more concerned with the alignment of the nervous system and subtle energy flows of the body. Third series brings the two together and challenges the practitioner to elongate the frame. Once a practitioner has settled into a disciplined practice it can be very helpful to begin to integrate the asanas of these two sequences. In this class we will begin to explore the integration of these two series of asanas in several alternative sequences.
- Ashtanga Second Series: Wednesdays at 7:45 p.m. The intermediate series (nadi shodhana) of the Ashtanga System. This class will include technique and additional asanas to assist you in building to the full forms of the intermediate series. This class is open to all Ashtanga practitioners who have a working knowledge of the primary series (you do not necessarily need to be able to execute each asana in its full form) and an established self-practice.
Series Course Offerings:
These are 6 week courses. The material is presented in a sequential manner to maximize learning. Groups are kept small to allow us to pay attention to the particulars of each participant, track progress and help direct each participant’s practice as it develops. For this reason we do not allow ‘drop-in’ attendance in series courses. Pre-registration is required for all series courses! For start dates please see our main page or check the schedule below. If you don’t see a start date for a series course you are interested in please contact us.
- Intro to Ashtanga Learn the basics of constructing fluidity in body and mind through an exploration of the Ashtanga Vinyasa yoga tradition. This series course is designed to prepare you for our Foundations classes and may be taken prior to or alongside our Foundations classes. We strongly recommend that you take an Intro series within the first 3 months of beginning your practice with us.
- Foundations after 50 This series course is specifically designed for those who are beginning a yoga practice in their 50s or later. It is a mature, detailed, and intelligent approach to learning new movement in body and mind. We explore the mapping of new movement pathways, the construction of a frame for approaching asana practice, basic breathwork, essential alignment, and basic applied anatomy. We also address areas of weakness and concern specific to the participants in each group.
- Yoga for Arthritis This series course is designed to introduce you to the basics of yoga movement specific to the prevention and support of osteoarthritis. We will explore the dynamic yoga movements and breath-work that support the development of core stability, strengthen spinal muscles, promote balance, encourage the development of bone growth and restore movement in body and mind.
- Yoga Support for Trauma In this series course we will explore asana and pranayama (movement and breathwork) specific to addressing the effects of trauma on the body and mind.